Once a woman gets pregnant, all she gets is suggestions about healthy eating. It’s necessary to keep watch on what you consume as you are not eating for yourself only. Drinking beetroot juice during pregnancy has lots of health benefits.
Vitamins, minerals and nutrients are quintessential for the growth of the new human being breathing inside you. During pregnancy, the body goes through numerous changes which cause nausea or morning sickness. For a healthy body during pregnancy and post-pregnancy, include plenty of fruits and juices in your diet.
Beetroot is rich in nutrients and vitamins which is necessary for the growth of the baby. Beetroot juice during pregnancy can eliminate the chances of complications that may occur during birth.
Having beetroot juice during pregnancy is always been debatable. So, here we are with some considerable benefits and side-effects of this vegetable root.
Benefits of Beetroot Juice During Pregnancy
Beetroot is a healthy vegetable that is used all over the world for flawless skin and lustrous hair. Experts advise to consume beetroot juice by an expecting mother but in a moderate amount for the well-being of both, mother & the baby.
1) Rich in Folic Acid
- Beets are rich in folic acid which makes them a good source of folate. You must have noticed pregnant women having a bunch of folic acid supplements.
- Folic acid is quintessential for tissue growth and prevents development issues at birth, like anencephaly and spina bifida.
- According to the Gynecologists, women must aim to get 400 micrograms of folate or folic acid each day. Beetroot juice ensures adequate haemoglobin count.
2) Blood Purifier And Natural Detoxifier
- Beetroots are a complete package of carbs, vitamins A&B, soluble fibre & proteins which protect the infant from possible defects of birth.
- It purifies the blood and regulates blood pressure. During pregnancy, women tend to experience erratic blood pressure.
- Pregnant or not pregnant, detoxifying your body is necessary for a healthy life. Beetroot eliminates fatty acids and toxins from your body, ensuring a healthy pregnancy.
Also, Check Benefits of Beet Juice for Skin & Hair
3) Healthy For Heart
- Beetroot has lots of potassium that can help to reduce hypertension. Hypertension is one of the disorders that inhibit blood to the heart.
- Drinking beetroot juice protects the heart from various diseases.
- Beetroot Juice is also beneficial for reducing homocysteine which is harmful to the heart as it causes heart attack and strokes.
4) Lowers the Risk of Osteoporosis
- During pregnancy, the bones become weak and brittle that’s why pregnant women are known to be at a higher risk of osteoporosis.
- Beetroots contain silica and calcium, which can keep your teeth and bones strong.
- Beetroot has “Betaine” which acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent, so it prevents joint pain and swelling.
5) Boost Immunity And Metabolism
- Drinking beetroot juice daily helps revitalise the body. Expecting mother’s need extra care to protect the infant from illness and infection.
- Beetroot possesses antioxidant properties which boost immunity and save the child and mother from the contagious virus.
- Beetroot juice is an excellent source of Potassium and it increases the electrolytes which control metabolism substantially during pregnancy.
- A bonus point is it also maintains the blood pressure levels in expecting mothers.
6) Maintain Cholesterol & Sugar Level
- During pregnancy weight increases abruptly with an increase in body weight of cholesterol in blood too uncontrolled. Beetroot juice helps to maintain the cholesterol level.
- Drinking beetroot stabilizes blood glucose levels as it contains low glycemic contents so the sugar conversion process is quite time-consuming.
Side-effects Of Consuming Beetroot Juice
Everything comes with its own merits and demerits; the same is the case with beetroot juice. It has numerous benefits but has some side effects too.
Beetroot may not be suitable for everyone. It is high in oxalates. The oxalates can bind with calcium in the body and may lead to kidney stones.
1) Cause Beeturia
- With the excessive consumption of beetroot juice, you may notice pink or purple urine. This discoloration of urine is known as beeturia.
- Beeturia is a harmless phenomenon that resolves on its own once the individual reduces the intake of beetroot juice.
2) May Lead to Kidney Stone
- As discussed above, Beets are rich in oxalates which result in kidney stone.
- Excess intake of beetroot juice can cause the accumulation of metal ions in the liver as it has a high content of oxalates.
3) May Cause Anaphylaxis
- Beetroot juice may cause an acute allergic reaction to an allergen to which the body has become hypersensitive, this is known as anaphylaxis.
- It may cause symptoms like throat tightness and bronchospasm.
4) Nitrates Cause Problems during Pregnancy
- The beets contain nitrates. Pregnant women are more sensitive to nitrates. During the later stage of pregnancy, this can lead to the natural increase of methemoglobin levels in the blood.
- A study shows an association between dietary nitrates and an increase in neural tube defects.
Undoubtedly, the benefits of beetroot juice outweigh the side effects, in general, or drinking beetroot juice during pregnancy.
Beetroot has an abundance of nutrients and vitamins that are necessary for the development of the baby and has numerous health benefits for the expecting mother.
The excess of beetroot may cause problems. So, better take it in a moderate about for the best results. It is advisable to consult your doctor before including beetroot juice during pregnancy in your diet.
FAQs for Drinking Beetroot Juice during Pregnancy
1. What will happen if you drink beetroot juice for 7 days?
Beetroot is enriched with nutrients, vitamins and minerals. It removes toxins from your body and makes your skin flawless. It is effective in curing health issues.
2. Are there any side effects of daily drinking beetroot juice?
The excessive intake of beetroot juice has many side effects. It may cause kidney stone, beeturia and colored stools. It may also cause problems during pregnancy if taken without consulting the doctor.
3. Can I drink pure beetroot juice at night?
Beetroot juice is high in sugar, so it’s not recommended to drink it at night. The best time to consume juices is in the morning but not to take it on an empty stomach.
4. Is beetroot juice good for drinking during pregnancy?
Beetroot contains folates or folic acid which fights anaemia and enhances haemoglobin level. It controls blood sugar level and cholesterol and helps in maintaining weight.
5. Can we use beetroot juice for hair growth?
The hormonal imbalance during pregnancy leads to extreme hair fall. Beetroot juices enhance hair growth and cure baldness.
Written By: Jaspreet Kaur